Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Ray of Hope


I've cried buckets of tears the day I've found out about my father's end stage renal disease.

I knew that either we'll have the kidney transplantation or it's a lifetime of dialysis for my dad.

My mind was tired trying to figure out how to raise a million pesos for the kidney transplant. I even thought of selling our house.

With kidney transplant still an unreachable goal - I focused my attention on how to stretch our budget to accomodate my father's dialysis and medications.

I surfed the internet looking for information about dialysis.

I've learned that there are two kinds of dialysis - peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis.

I'll explain the difference between the two in my next post.

It occured to me that peritoneal dialysis might be cheaper than hemodialysis because it's a procedure that can be done at home and can be performed by a trained member of the family. Unlike hemodialysis which is done either in a hospital or clinical facilities with doctors and nurses. And since I'm a medical technologist, I would be qualified to do peritoneal dialysis for my dad.

We talked to my aunt about our decision to have peritoneal dialysis and since she's a physician she talked to some of her surgeon friends if anyone of them can perform the operation of putting a peritoneal catheter for my dad for free. My good aunt even told us that she's going to help us with all of my father's expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment